Are you planning a trip to coincide with your kids’ spring break? Maybe you simply plan an annual getaway this time of year?
If you are thinking about leaving home for an extended period this season, there are a few home maintenance procedures that you should consider. To make sure that your vacation is stress-free (and that you don’t return to an uncomfortable home), follow these maintenance tips:
- HVAC Thermostat – If you plan on running your forced-air system while you are away, set the thermostat at a lower temp between 50 to 60 degrees. This will keep your home at a stable temperature regardless of the weather, which is often unpredictable during the transitional months. A programmable thermostat will allow you to bring the house up to a more comfortable temperature upon your arrival.
- HVAC Maintenance – An extended vacation is a good reason to have a contractor come by for its annual tune-up. It will offer peace of mind that the system won’t fail while you are away. Spring maintenance is essential for your HVAC to continue running at optimum efficiency and also keeps your utility bills low.
- Unplug Major Electronics – To keep your appliances safe from a major power surge, unplug them before you leave. You might also consider using a power surge protector for certain appliances you would prefer not to unplug. Power surge protectors offer 24 hour safety and give the homeowner peace of mind during electrical storms.
- Water Heater Adjustment – You won’t be using your water heater over your vacation, so why waste the energy? Turning the setting down a few degrees while you are away is always a good idea. Many modern units have a “vacation setting,” which will accomplish the same objective.
- Secure Plumbing – Turing off the water is also a good idea, especially if you live in an area that might experience a late cold snap. Even if there is no threat of freezing temperatures, it’s a good idea to turn off the water supply during a vacation. Minor leaks that have gone unnoticed could worsen during your vacation and become major plumbing problems.
Keep your home safe during your spring vacation (and enjoy peace of mind) when you follow these proactive home maintenance and security tips. Give us a call if you’d like to schedule HVAC maintenance before your big trip! Or learn more about our Interstate Maintenance Club and start a schedule timed to work around your annual vacations!