When you call your professional HVAC company for your annual heating and cooling tune-up, they run through their own extensive HVAC maintenance checklist. Things like inspect your duct system, ventilation, wiring, and other complicated components of your system.
It is recommended that you get your HVAC system professionally tuned-up twice a year — once in the fall for your heating system and another in the spring for your air conditioning. Professionally inspecting your HVAC components before each heating and cooling season could double your system’s lifespan and cut your HVAC costs by 30%!
There are, however, many things that any homeowner can do to supplement this professional inspection to keep your HVAC system as efficient and long-lasting as possible. Taking the steps now to prepare your HVAC system will keep your comfort up and your bills down.
HVAC Homeowner Maintenance Checklist
1. Check Your Air Filters
The air filter in your air conditioner helps protect you from breathing in allergens and protects the equipment from the accumulation of dust and debris. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), HVAC system air filters should be checked every month for cleanliness during the summer and replaced as needed. The EPA recommends replacing the filter at a minimum of every three months.
Preventative maintenance is the most economical way to make certain that your air conditioning system operates at peak performance when you most need it. A well-maintained cooling system lasts longer and needs fewer repairs than a neglected one.
Leaks in your air conditioning system’s ductwork can impede the system’s energy efficiency by as much as 25 percent, according to the EPA. Should your seasonal tune up reveal leaks in the network of air ducts that runs through your home, sealing and insulating the ductwork is an affordable solution. The air distribution system will deliver better performance and lower your energy costs as well.
4. Install a Programmable Thermostat
When temperatures rise, it can be tempting to leave your cooling system running while you’re away from home so that you don’t return to a hot and humid environment. A programmable thermostat offers a more affordable option, allowing you to program your air conditioner to adjust temperatures according to your family’s schedule. Some models even let you interface with the device remotely from your computer or mobile device.
5. Consider Replacement
If your air conditioning system is more than ten years old, needs an expensive repair or simply isn’t delivering the level of comfort that you want, replacement can be a viable solution. Modern systems are up to 50 percent more efficient than outdated systems and they offer better performance. The experts at INTERSTATE can conduct a cost comparison to ensure that you enjoy the best value.
Print this handy HVAC Maintenance Checklist from HouseLogic for quick reference:
Additional Tips for Your Homeowner Maintenance Checklist:
- Check and replace air filters
- Check and seal HVAC ductwork
- Remove and clean vents and registers, vacuum the inside
- Examine the interior and exterior of your home for air leaks
- Replace any deteriorating caulk and weatherstripping
- Test all GFCI outlets, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Make sure your air vents and registers are unobstructed
- Check and clean your gutters
- Check seals and locks on all doors and windows
- Check all appliances, and plumbing fixtures for leaks
- Clear clogged condensate line if necessary
In the Oklahoma City area, an HVAC maintenance visit can cost between $75 – $200. For more precise pricing of HVAC maintenance, call Interstate Heating & Air Conditioning Inc. today at (405) 912-5900. We have a team of certified technicians dedicated to keeping your unit running smoothly and your house comfortable all year long.
Preventative HVAC maintenance service is recommended twice a year for HVAC systems and includes the following services with Interstate Heating and Air Conditioning:
- Inspections: We take a look at every part of your system.
- Cleaning: Dirty coils, among other components, can cause mechanical failures.
- Adjustments: We fine tune your system for optimal performance.
Call us today to schedule your HVAC maintenance service in OKC at (405) 912-5900.
It is recommended that all homeowners regularly have their HVAC units serviced and maintained. Some benefits of having your HVAC regularly serviced include:
- Avoiding emergencies later by servicing now – Your system is less likely to break down if it is maintained properly.
- Increasing the life of your unit: A well-maintained unit will run better and therefore last longer.
- Improving your home’s indoor air quality: A clean running system will produce better quality air.
- Saving money: Regular maintenance will keep your HVAC system running more efficiently, ultimately saving you money.
For more information on your HVAC system, give Interstate Heating & Air Conditioning a call at 405-794-8900. We’d be happy to answer all of your questions!
Looking to save even more money and energy with your HVAC system?
- How to Save Money on Your Air Conditioning Bill
- 8 Tips for Cutting Air Conditioning Costs
- How to Properly Inspect Your Air Ducts
Don’t forget to schedule your heating/furnace tune-up for winter! Visit us online or give us a call: 405-794-8900.